Teen Charged in Deadly Raleigh Nightclub Shooting That Left One Man Dead
RALEIGH, N.C. – Police have charged a Durham teenager in connection with a deadly shooting that left one man dead and another seriously injured outside a Raleigh nightclub earlier this month .
Shooting Outside Patio Nightclub
According to the Raleigh Police Department, the incident happened around 3:30 a.m. on August 9 outside the Patio Nightclub on New Bern Avenue.
Two men were shot during the altercation. One victim, identified as Christian Mercado, later died from his injuries. The second man survived but remains in recovery, police confirmed .
“This senseless act of violence has left one family grieving and another victim fighting to recover. Our detectives remain committed to ensuring justice is served,” Raleigh police said in a statement.
Teen Suspect Identified
Police identified the suspect as 19-year-old Jonathan David Bonilla-Ramos of Durham. He was arrested on August 29 and charged with:
- Murder in Mercado’s death
- Assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury for the second victim
Court documents show Bonilla-Ramos was denied bond and is scheduled to make his first appearance in Wake County Court on September 2 .
Ongoing Investigation
Investigators say the motive for the shooting remains under review. Detectives are continuing to interview witnesses and review security footage from the area.
Residents near the busy nightlife corridor expressed concern about ongoing violence. One Raleigh local said, “It feels like every few weeks we hear about another shooting. Something has to change.”
Do you think North Carolina should increase security requirements for nightclubs to prevent shootings, or will stricter laws make a difference? Share your thoughts in the comments and join the conversation at SaludaStandard-Sentinel.com.