South Carolina Man Freed After Judge Vacates Conviction in 2010 Home Invasion Case

South Carolina Man Freed After Judge Vacates Conviction in 2010 Home Invasion Case

MANNING, S.C. – After spending more than a decade in prison for a crime he said he didn’t commit, Michael Pearson walked free on Thursday when a Clarendon County judge vacated his conviction. Hugging his family outside the courthouse, Pearson said, “It feels good to be free. I prayed for this day, and now it’s here,” according to WLTX.

The ruling came after Circuit Court Judge Robert Hood agreed that new evidence and confessions raised serious doubts about Pearson’s role in a 2010 home invasion.

Background of the Case

Pearson had been serving time for the assault and robbery of Edward “Slick” Gibbons, who was attacked in his home by masked men in May 2010. Despite consistently claiming innocence, Pearson was convicted in 2012.

“I never gave up hope,” Pearson told reporters. “I knew the truth would come out one day.” His persistence was rewarded after prosecutors admitted fresh evidence pointed away from him, WLTX reported.

New Confessions Change the Case

Third Circuit Solicitor Ernest “Chip” Finney revealed that Pearson’s co-defendant, Victor Weldon, gave a detailed confession in 2023 naming two other suspects while clearing Pearson. Weldon passed a polygraph, further supporting his statement.

“One of them has given a statement against his own interests,” Finney said in court. “We expect charges against him soon, and the evidence now makes clear that Mr. Pearson was not involved in this crime.” His comments were highlighted in WLTX’s coverage.

Prosecutors believe a fourth person may have acted as a getaway driver, and investigations into that role are ongoing.

Defense Argues Wrongful Conviction

Pearson’s attorney, Chris Mumma of the North Carolina Center on Actual Innocence, argued the conviction was based on flawed forensic methods. She told WLTX:

“Two men confessed to their roles. Mr. Weldon passed a polygraph. Mr. Pearson passed a polygraph. And there is no link between my client and the actual suspects. The facts point away from him.”

She criticized the fingerprint evidence in the original trial, which had been matched manually instead of using automated systems.

Pearson Reflects on Prison Years

Pearson described his years in prison as brutal. “My first year was the hardest thing I ever went through. They sent me to the bottom of the bowl — that’s a place I wouldn’t wish on a dog,” he said.

He credited faith and family for keeping him strong. “What was my strength? The hope of me getting out. I had a bright star in my corner. I don’t give up easy.”

Pearson was released on a $50,000 personal recognizance bond, meaning he must meet strict conditions while awaiting a final decision on whether prosecutors will retry him.

What Comes Next

Although Judge Hood vacated the conviction, Pearson still technically faces charges. Prosecutors said they will decide by late September whether to retry him.

Pearson said his priority now is reclaiming his life: “I lost years I can’t get back, but I’m not bitter. I’m ready to move forward.”

Do you believe South Carolina should strengthen its laws and procedures to prevent wrongful convictions like Pearson’s case? Share your thoughts in the comments and join the conversation at SaludaStandard-Sentinel.com.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *