Widow of Fallen South Carolina Trooper Confronts Accused Driver During Emotional Bond Hearing
ORANGEBURG COUNTY, S.C. – The widow of fallen South Carolina State Trooper Dennis Ricks delivered an emotional statement in court Friday as the man accused of killing her husband appeared for a bond hearing on new charges of reckless homicide.
Accused Driver Faces Reckless Homicide Charge
Authorities say 45-year-old Anthony Aydlette struck Trooper Ricks with a box truck on August 10 while driving on a suspended license. Sheriff Leroy Ravenell confirmed that investigators took nearly 20 days to carefully review the case before upgrading the charge.
Bond was set at $225,000, payable in cash or by surety. Civil attorney Franklin McGuire, representing the Ricks family, noted Aydlette had been unable to post bond on earlier charges and is unlikely to afford the higher amount.
“So now that bond is $225,000, it would lead me to believe that he will not be able to post this either. I think I may have preferred if he had just had bond denied, but that said, I know the court is doing the best they can with what information they have,” McGuire said.
Sheriff: “He Did Everything Wrong”
Sheriff Ravenell defended Trooper Ricks’ actions that day, saying the officer followed proper procedure while Aydlette drove recklessly.
“He did everything wrong. The number one thing he did wrong that day was get into a motor vehicle and start on the highway. He should not have been driving a motor vehicle in the state of South Carolina,” Ravenell told reporters.
The sheriff added that Aydlette has a history of driving-related offenses, including multiple crashes and license suspensions.
Widow Speaks Out in Court
Speaking publicly for the first time since her husband’s funeral, Jade Ricks confronted Aydlette directly during the hearing.
“He gave more of himself to others than he ever kept for himself. He had so much more to give and so many more years to live. Because of Mr. Aydlette’s actions, our future was stolen. The family we dreamed of building together is gone,” she said through tears.
Aydlette, who appeared by video, was seen crying as the widow and others addressed the court.
What Comes Next
If convicted on the reckless homicide charge, Aydlette faces up to 10 years in prison. Sheriff Ravenell noted that additional charges could still be filed as the investigation continues.
Do you believe South Carolina courts should take a stricter stance on repeat driving offenders to prevent tragedies like this? Share your thoughts in the comments and join the conversation at SaludaStandard-Sentinel.com.