Burton Firefighters Battle Second Blaze in Two Days, Several Residents Displaced
BURTON, S.C. – Firefighters in the Burton Fire District responded to their second fire in as many days, displacing several residents and prompting emergency aid from the American Red Cross .
Camper Fire Near Shaklin Road
Emergency crews were dispatched around 3:30 p.m. Friday after reports of a camper fire on Shaklin Road. Units from the Marine Corps Air Station Fire and Emergency Services, Beaufort County EMS, and the Sheriff’s Office joined Burton firefighters at the scene.
Firefighters saw flames shooting from a camper just 10 feet away from a mobile home. Crews contained the fire before it spread, but the camper sustained severe fire and heat damage.
Two adults living in the camper were displaced. The American Red Cross was contacted to provide housing and assistance.
“Quick action by multiple agencies prevented the flames from spreading to nearby homes,” Burton Fire District said in a statement.
Second Fire Reported Days Earlier
Friday’s blaze came just two days after another fire on Bay Pines Road that displaced two additional residents. That fire occurred on Wednesday morning and damaged a single-family home.
Officials confirmed no injuries were reported in either case. Both incidents remain under investigation .
Fire Activity on the Rise
So far in 2025, the Burton Fire District has already responded to 28 fires. District officials say they are working to raise awareness about fire prevention and safety practices in the community.
One local resident, reacting to the back-to-back fires, said: “It feels like we’re seeing more fires than ever. Thank God no one was hurt, but it’s still scary.”
Do you think Burton and Beaufort County should expand fire prevention programs given the recent rise in fire calls? Share your opinion in the comments and join the conversation at SaludaStandard-Sentinel.com.